Thursday, January 27, 2011

van de Sar announced his retirement.

Edwin van de Sar says he could have played on next season.
The Dutchman has announced his retirement today.
Van der Sar maintains he is still as fit and able as ever, and that an ageing body has not forced him to leave the games on terms other than his own.
"One minute you're out. The next, you question it again. I thought about stopping, maybe a year ago," said Van der Sar.
"After a defeat, I thought differently than after playing a few good games in a row.
"My age played no role. I am 40 years old, but I still feel fit.
"And then the decision came suddenly. Do not ask me how or why, but suddenly you know. That was sufficient.
"The time has come to devote greater attention to my family - although they have never complained. Everyone in the family has indeed always had to focus on me, but we have also had a lot in return."

No comments:

Post a Comment