Saturday, July 24, 2010

Interview with Edwin van der Sar: Relying on rookies to prolong his career

To Edwin van der Sar, Fergie’s new fledglings might just as well be from another planet. But the old Dutch master is relying on them to both prolong his career and bring back the title to Old Trafford.
With many of Manchester United’s top stars missing - because of post-World Cup holidays and injuries - rookies like Danny Welbeck, Jonny Evans, Darron Gibson and Federico Macheda are grabbing the attention on their pre-season tour of North America.

But the veteran keeper, who turns 40 in October, confesses to being totally baffled by the new crop of youngsters.
Their musical tastes, lifestyles and general banter are alien to him.
He admitted: “I am the oldest player in the squad and some of the players are less than half my age, so that is a bit weird at times.
They talk about things I have never heard. They play different music - music I don’t recognise. But this is good because it helps me stay young. And they can hopefully help us get the title back from Chelsea.”

Van der Sar continues to defy the years with agility, athleticism and an undimmed appetite for the game.
But he is shocked he is still with the Reds after almost six years.
He revealed: “I arrived when I was 34 and I thought that I would be here for two years and then maybe do something else.
“I wanted to try to win the league title and end my career maybe with Ajax and then call it a day.
“But at the moment I’m still going.

“At a certain age you are happy that you can still do this great job. People have kept on asking me the same question for the last four years: when will I finish.
“Two years ago people were saying I’d soon be 40 and it was coming closer and closer, but I still feel good.
“I watch what I eat and drink, and training is good. I’m quite fortunate in not having that many long-term injuries like knee ligaments and that kind of thing.
“I’ve been lucky.

“Mentally, I still want to do it. I still want to be there. I still have the hunger and the appetite to stay at the top.”
Under Van der Sar’s stewardship, the United defence has been the most miserly in the top flight for the past three seasons – but he can’t go on forever. When he finally hangs up his gloves, like Peter Schmeichel before him, he will be a virtually-impossible act to follow.
He said: “At this stage of my career I’m not looking ahead. Sir Alex Ferguson is letting me make the decision on what I want to do.

“There is a dialogue between me and him and the club. I don’t want it to get ridiculous carrying on, but when the time comes I will know.
“And I will only tell one person first - the manager.
“I wouldn’t say there hasn’t been a strong deputy here.

“Both the keepers – Ben Foster and Tomasz Kuszczak – played a number of games last season when I was out.
“But the others have to take their chances when they come in. Some have done - but some haven’t.”

No comments:

Post a Comment