Saturday, October 9, 2010

Van der Sar insists he won't retire but Man Utd hope he WILL retire

Edwin van der Sar has rubbished suggestions he has decided to retire at the end of the season.

But Van der Sar, 39, insisted that is not the case, telling www.sport-promotion.nl: 'That's complete nonsense. I do not know where this story comes from but it is nonsense.


'I don't yet know whether I will stop or continue after this season. Only in the course of this season will I think about it. Then I will decide and not before. For now I keep my focus on United.'
Yet, Manchester United goalkeeping coach Eric Steele is confident Edwin van der Sar will retire at the end of the season.
Steele is of firm belief that the 39-year old former Holland international will end it all when the 2010/11 season comes to a close but says he would love to do it with the one trophy that has eluded him so far – the FA Cup.
“I think Ed has made his mind up and said this is his last year," Steele told the Manchester Evening News. "He is a good pro and a sensible and highly intelligent guy who will know when the time is right. I don't think he will need myself or the manager to tell him that time has come. He will know.
"But if he gets to Christmas and he thinks it is right to go on and the manager thinks it is right, we will make a decision.
"It is down to how he feels and performs. If he doesn't perform the manager will make the decision. Edwin will as well.
"He hasn't won it (the FA Cup) and that is a big target for him," added Steele.
"When we rotate our goalkeepers I think you will see Mr Van der Sar knocking on the door and asking the boss to play in the FA Cup."

No comments:

Post a Comment