Friday, August 13, 2010

Smalling revealed himself as Arsenal fan but Sir Alex was pleased with it. Read WHY.

Chris Smalling learned his trade as a child watching the famed back-four of Arsenal - and that will please Sir Alex Ferguson no end.


The Manchester United boss was a huge admirer of the defensive unit put together by old friend George Graham in the late 1980s which served the club for 14 years.

The original quartet of Lee Dixon, Tony Adams, Steve Bould, Nigel Winterburn, and later Martin Keown, were underpinned by David Seaman in goal.


Together they put four league titles, three FA Cups, two League Cups and a European Cup Winners' Cup in the trophy cabinet at the old Highbury.

Fergie regarded the Gunners in that era, which was continued by Arsene Wenger after his arrival in 1996, as United's greatest rivals for silverware and even described inspirational skipper Adams as "a Manchester United player in an Arsenal kit."

Now two generations on, Smalling, 20, admits being raised as an Arsenal fan just weeks after completing his £10million move from Fulham to Old Trafford.


But the £10million signing from Fulham could in line for a centre-back place playing alongside Nemanja Vidic in the opening weeks of the season in the continued absence of Rio Ferdinand.

He said: "The manager has told me to be ready for when injuries arise. Rio is one of the best in the world and I know his are big boots to fill.

"He has produced for United year on year and for any of us to step into his shoes will be a big ask. I always looked at his attributes when I was growing up, but he wasn't the only player I watched because I think you have to try and take something from a few.


"I loved Tony Adams because he was a very aggressive centre-back and Rio probably has different qualities which I'm also trying to introduce to my game.

"I was an Arsenal fan growing up and my dad drove us up from Kent to watch them about half a dozen times, even when they were playing back at Highbury.

"I enjoyed watching Martin Keown but I really liked the whole back four, particularly Lee Dixon. Rio played a few games alongside Adams for England and together I remember thinking they brought different things to the team."

He was signed by United back in January but didn't make the switch to Old Trafford permanently until June. He travelled to Canada and the USA for his new club's North American tour and scored his first goal against Chivas Guadalajara in a 3-2 win last week.


"The US tour was a great experience because there were a lot of young players over there trying to gel together and trying to make their mark," he said.

"I want to hit the ground running at the start of the season and hopefully play a few games. I don't want the pre-season to be the last games I play for a while.

"I made my debut in America in a friendly and there will definitely be a few butterflies when I make my Premier League debut for Manchester United.

"There will be a great deal of expectation but I want to play games. Last year I got 20-odd appearances for Fulham and I want to experience that again."

No comments:

Post a Comment