Sunday, August 29, 2010

Scholes prefer coaching Oldham than answering Capello's call.

Paul Scholes is more excited by the prospect of coaching his boyhood club Oldham than pulling on an England shirt again.

The 35-year-old's form for Manchester United has brought calls for him to return to international football and rejuvenate Fabio Capello's flops.


Scholes even admitted regret at not answering Franco Baldini's call to join Capello's World Cup squad in South Africa.

But the United stalwart believes the reasons he quit the game six years ago remain just as valid.

He told coaching website Football4Football.com: "I wasn't enjoying it any more.

"Playing in competitions can mean being away for six weeks at a time. It just wasn't for me and it was showing.

"When I was playing, I wasn't playing as well as I could have been so I think it was the right decision.

"I still think retirement from club football is a few years off for me but I've started doing my coaching badges because I'm determined to stay in the game.


"I don't know about anything else."

In fact, Scholes has his heart set on being involved with the Latics, now managed by former Manchester City striker Paul Dickov.

A close source said: "It would be dream come true for Scholes to be involved in coaching with Oldham.

"It's his first love and would be one of the only roles that would get him excited."

Sir Alex Ferguson will be delighted that such a key member of his team is still devoting his entire playing time to United.


Since retiring from England, Scholes has scored fewer goals domestically but has arguably become a more effective team player.

Stats show his passing accuracy and his chance-making have been better in the last six years than before.

No comments:

Post a Comment