Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Corry Evans wants a loan move to be a regular starter in Man Utd squad

Corry and Johnny Evans are set to join an illustrious band of brothers by finally playing together for Northern Ireland.


And after joining his older sibling in pulling on the green shirt in Montenegro this week, little brother Corry wants to join Jonny in the Manchester United first-team.


Although Corry has four caps to his name already, without having made his United debut, Jonny missed all of those games.

Both are expected to be on the pitch at the same time in Podgorica, some 11 years after Jim and Jeff Whitely both faced Finland in Helsinki and their names will go alongside the famous Irvine, Hunter and Blanchflower brothers who are all in Northern Ireland football folklore.

Already this season the Evanses have played together on Manchester United's pre-season tour to the USA and that has whetted Corry's appetite to press on and be an Old Trafford regular.

Nigel Worthington is already a fan, fast-tracking him into the senior squad and his days as an under-21 international are likely to be over.


The 20-year-old said: "My first goal was to come back for pre-season and get on the tour which I've managed to do. I'm just going to take it from here and see what happens.

"It was really exciting and pleasing to get on the pitch. I was determined to put in a good performance to put me in the frame for future matches.

"Playing for United's first team is something I've dreamed of since I was a kid. I've supported the club all my life so the opportunity to get on and play, even if it was just a pre-season game, was a special and proud moment for myself and my family."

Spending some time away from United may be Corry's best route into the first-team though. Jonny had two loan spells at Sunderland before he made his real breakthrough and already Championship sides Nottingham Forest and Leeds United are understood to be ready to offer his first-team football.


And it is also likely to boost his chances of becoming a regular starter for his country.
He said: "I'm likely to get more chances to play first-team football somewhere else than I would at United because of the size and the quality of the squad here.

"It would probably be in my best interests to go out on loan and get some more experience, then come back next season and see where I'm at then.


"Whenever reserve-team players come back from going on-loan they talk about how much they've enjoyed it, just being involved in a first-team and playing in front of good crowds every weekend.

"Going out on-loan would also put me in the picture for more international caps.
"I've got four caps and I've spoken to Nigel Worthington about it. He said if I'm playing regular first-team football I'll come into contention for his squads more often."

No comments:

Post a Comment