Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ferdinand: Twitter has helped fans see real me

Rio Ferdinand says Twitter has helped him bridge the divide with fans.
Ferdinand has become a frequent user of Twitter in recent months and now has over 580,000 followers.
He explained to Inside United: "It was mainly to show people the real me. A lot of people perceive me in a certain way and a lot of that is down to how the media have chosen to portray me.
"It’s the image they’ve painted of me. I used to see loads of images in the papers of me with flashy earrings, big diamond chains or gold watches, but that’s not me anymore.
"Obviously it was me at one point, but that was a long time ago, when I was a kid and the money was all new to me. But it’s unfair to use those pictures now. I’m a different person these days. I’m much more mature.
"Twitter’s been good because it’s given me a platform to show people what I’m really like. I’ve heard people talking about me and they expect me to be on red carpets week in, week out. But I’ve only ever been on two red carpets in my entire life.
"At least on Twitter people can get an understanding on how you are, rather than how the media portray you. I’ve even had messages from fans thanking me for showing them what life for a professional footballer is really like.
"Some people think being a footballer is all about beautiful cars, big holidays and private jets. I swear some people think I get a jet to go down to the shop and buy a pint of milk!"

No comments:

Post a Comment