Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cantona fears for Man Utd when Ferguson steps down

Manchester United legend Eric Cantona fears for the club when Sir Alex retires.
Speaking to the New York Times, Cantona insisted Ferguson is crucial to United when asked whether he is staying away from the club until the Glazers are no longer the owners.
Cantona said: “All I will say is that I think Ferguson will stay as the manager, after that, there will be more problems. Today, he is like Gandhi on the game side. With Manchester, I prefer to say, to think, to realise that Ferguson is a kind of genius.
“He had so many different generations of players now. He’s 70 (later this year) and works with players 18 years old, but adapts himself to all generations.
“This one is especially different. With [Dimitar] Berbatov, he worked hard and waited because he knew he had a great player.
“Ferguson takes strong personalities and works with them psychologically. It is very important. It worked for me, 100 per cent. It was for the team. I accepted everything because he gave me freedom on the pitch.
“He gave me the No. 7 shirt and it became important to me, though I might not have realised its importance in the beginning.
“I never felt the pressure. He had a kind of confidence in me to give me the No. 7. It was an honour.”

No comments:

Post a Comment