Monday, September 6, 2010

Bebe says he's not a striker!

Bebe admits he was played out of position on his Portugal Under-21 debut.

The shock £7m signing was described as a striker on United's official website when the deal was confirmed but there has been much conjecture since as little was known about the Vitoria Guimaraes youngster.


Sir Alex Ferguson has already expressed his disgust at the amount of focus being placed on Bebe, who looks set to wear the name Tiago Dias on his shirt, as he settles into his new environment.

After being handed his first start for the Under-21 team in their clash with England, the United new boy was overshadowed by Old Trafford team-mate Tom Cleverley, who has just clinched a loan move to Wigan.

However, Bebe made one superb run and shot that produced a save out of Frank Fielding which highlighted his potential.

The player himself would rather play on the wing instead of the lone attacker role he was given as he was often isolated up front.


"Clearly, I did not play in my position," he said. "I'm a winger but the coach is the boss.
"I'm here to help and represent the national team.

"We failed to score but I'm happy and, now I'm here, I hope to come back more often.
"Hearing the anthem for the national team was something that I've been waiting for a long time."


Bebe clearly has his feet on the ground since his meteoric rise to fame.

"I feel the same," he confessed. "I still have not won anything.

"There is still much to learn to become a better player."

No comments:

Post a Comment